Coupla Newbie Questions

John Hornbuckle computers "at" taylor.k12.fl.us
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 21:45:14 +0000

>>    Anyhow, it's a moot point because your suggestion about using WinVNC as
>> a service did what I wanted to do--namely run the program without having
>> its icon show up in the system tray. This makes it nearly impossible for my

>interesting... I run it as a service, and as soon as I log on, it puts an
icon >in the tray (NT 4 wrks, sp4)...

   The PCs I'm putting it on are all Win95, if that makes a difference.
When I first install WinVNC as a service (using "winvnc -install") an icon
appears in the tray. After I reboot, however, the icon goes away and
doesn't come back.
   I have no complaints about this... I don't want it changed (I hope
you're listening, ORL)! As a Network Manager trying to remotely support a
lot of novice users, it's far more convenient for me to not have that icon
show up. It greatly decreases the odds of my users shutting the program
down on reconfiguring it.