Fragility of the Windows server

John Wilson tug "at" wilson.co.uk
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 10:47:19 +0000

In testing a new client I have found that the Windows server requires a
SetEncodings and a SetPixelFormat message to be sent before the first
FrameBufferUpdateRequest. A failure to send these messages causes the server
to crash with an access violation exception. I'm using version 3.3.2R5 of
the server on NT 4.0.

>From my reading of the protocol document it would appear that neither
SetEncodings nor SetPixelFormat are required to be sent and that the server
should operate with its own settings notified to the client in the
ServerInitialisation message.

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
5 Market Hill, Whitchurch, Aylesbury, Bucks HP22 4JB, UK
+44 1296 641072, +44 976 611010(mobile), +44 1296 641874(fax)
Mailto: tug "at" wilson.co.uk