Coupla Newbie Questions

John Hornbuckle computers "at" taylor.k12.fl.us
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 23:29:46 +0000

   I've checked the FAQ and docs, but didn't see the answers to these two
questions regarding the WinVNC server...

1. I read that you can put in a Registry entry that will prevent the user
from changing the settings. When I put in this entry, it worked.
Unfortunately, it caused the annoying side effect of a dialogue box popping
up every time WinVNC is launched. The box basically says that the
preferences can't be changed, and then you click the "OK" button.
   Is there any way to disable this dialogue from appearing? I have the
WinVNC server configured to launch every time the user boots their PC,
which means that this message also pops up every time they boot their PC. I
find it a nuisance.
   I would actually like to make it so that the user on the "home" machine
can't change the VNC preferences, but I could change them when I connect
remotely with the Viewer.

2. I would really prefer for the WinVNC icon to not show up in the System
Tray when it's launched. I've found that it doesn't show up when I bypass
my network login screen on Win95 by pressing the [Esc] key instead of
typing in a password. If I DO type in a password, however, the icon shows
up. Does anyone know why? If I could figure out why, maybe I could prevent
the icon from showing up in all instances.
   The VNC docs indicate that ORL doesn't want to build in this feature,
but for my users on my network it would really be useful.

   Thanks in advance... I hope some of you more experienced users can offer
some guidance! This program is working very well for us. If I could resolve
these two issues, things would be perfect!