newbie: shared-viewing

Quentin Stafford-Fraser quentin "at" orl.co.uk
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 19:27:00 +0000

Randy Heiland wrote:

> I want to display an application on my (SGI) X wkst and "share" it with
> a person on a PC...

Randy,

The Xvnc server runs as a separate X display, so, as you've found, apps
displayed on it will not normally also appear on your screen.  You need to run
a VNC viewer on your X workstation as well as on the remote PC, and if you want
them bopth to display at once you'll need to give them the '-shared' option.

I believe, though I may be wrong, that the SGI has OpenGL extensions in the X
server which are not included in Xvnc, so your app will need to be able to
render OpenGL things itself.

Regards,
Quentin