IP Level Security on WinVNC

Nick Kay nick "at" nexnix.co.uk
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:49:40 +0000

At 12:41 13/12/98 -0500, you wrote:

>I announced these changes a few months ago, but since the URL is
>changing, I thought I would do it again:
>
>I have changed WinVNC server to strictly allow or deny VNC connections
>based upon the client's IP address (or a block of IP addresses).  This
>is similar to functionality found in TCP wrappers on UN*X platforms.
>It gives me better peace of mind when running WinVNC on my machines on
>insecure networks.
>
>Right now, the IP allow/deny rules are stored in a text file.  It's
>possible that for greater security and simpler deployment, these rules
>could be moved to the registry.
>
>Anyway, the new URL for the sources (based upon 3.3.2r5) is:
>    ftp://wik.res.cmu.edu/pub/vncip_src.zip
>
>Win32 (Intel) binaries (for people without compilers) are also available at:
>    ftp://wik.res.cmu.edu/pub/vncip_bin.zip
>
>Quentin -
>The contrib extras.html page currently lists the old URL
>(tweedledee.res.cmu.edu).  Thanks.
>
>Feel free to send questions or comments to me and/or the list.
>
>Jared Smolens

Cool, I asked for this months ago - now I can put VNC into all my
corporate clients. First one this afternoon.
Any chance of getting this feature into the "official" VNC release,
Wez/Quentin?

TTFN
  nick "at" nexnix

Redmond, WA--Microsoft announced today that the official release date for
the new operating system "Windows 2000" will be delayed until the second
quarter of 1901.