vnc-list-digest V1 #163

Nico Kadel-Garcia raoul "at"
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:04:25 +0000

Hi! I'm moved over to a new email address, on the brand new cable
modem, raoul "at" instead of raoul "at"

VNC is *lovely* over cable modem.

Also: the new 3.3.2r3 release compiles find under SunOS without having
to select the "/usr/openwin" xmkmf instead of the X11R6.4 xmkmf and
configurations, so I've withdrawn the patches from my web site that I
had written to compile VNC from the X11R6.4 source tree.

While it would be good to go to X11R6.4, the size of the linux
community using XFree86 which is based on a modified X11R6.3 means
that it would be probably easiest to remain in sync with that, and let
the Linux community drive addition of new platforms to the Xvnc source

So on my list of remaining good ideas is:

	More detail on how to wrap the VNC connections in SSH, for
	security sake.

	Options in the vncserver script to flush all active Xvnc
	servers, or at least all owned by that user.

	Documentation more clear on what ports are used, so
	firewall users can know more precisely where they have to
	punch holes.

	A vncserver option that does *not* permit web access,
	for sites that can't reconfigure their firewalls easily.

	Modifying the vncserver argument parsing code so that
	one can select "vncserver 1" instead of "vncserver :1".
	This may be a matter of debate: I don't like having to type
	extra ":" characters because of the rotten design of

Overall, VNC is good stuff: I'm pointing research and IS people at it
left and right...

Version: 2.6.3i
Charset: noconv

The VNC mailing list     -   see