Win95 routing or port redirecting

Robert Beyreis Rbeyreis "at" ptisys.com
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:34:54 +0000

To my knowledge neither is available.  I looked for both when I was setting
up my network at home, and I only found stuff for Linux.  The one thing
which I didn't really poke around with was some of the proxy
products(Wingate...) which might do it.  Of course another option is to
upgrade to NT(If the wireless drivers are available)

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen A. Wood [mailto:sawecw "at" bigfoot.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 1998 12:09 PM
To: vnc-list "at" orl.co.uk
Subject: Win95 routing or port redirecting

I recently bought some wireless networking cards in order to give me
some freedom to roam around with my laptop.  I use Linux, but
unfortunately, only W95 drivers are available for the wireless cards.
So, what I am trying to do, is use VNC to project an X server to the
laptop running W95.  Here is the configuration I am trying

         _______________        ___________                 __________
Net --- | Linux Machine |------|W95 Desktop| . . . . . . . |W95 Laptop|
         ---------------    ^   -----------        ^        ----------
                            |                      |
                         Ethernet              Wireless network

What I would like to do is run a Xvnc server on the Linux machine and
then run the VNC client on the laptop, thus sort of getting linux on the
laptop.  The problem is that I don't know how to make W95 do routing.
There is a registry variable "EnableRouting", but the machine simply
doesn't boot if that is on.  So the another way I thought of doing
routing is to use a TCP port redirector (like the Linux "redir"
command).  However I can't find a W95 port redirector.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get either

	1.  Routing to work under W95
	2.  TCP port redirection under W95

I have run a VNC server on the Desktop and a VNC client on the laptop.
I could then run a VNC client on the desktop connecting to the Linux
Machine, but that seems like it would be slow and overkill.

					Steve Wood
					Newport News, Virginia