d'OH! (was Re: java client on win98)

Eric Schwartz erics "at" col.hp.com
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:01:10 +0000

Nevermind, that was just me being stupid.  While playing around with the
Java client, trying to make a stop() function that worked like the
disconnect button, I'd also created a start() method that would reconnect
when the browser revisited the page.

BUT...

I started a thread in the init() method and in the start() method.  This
had two VNC threads reading data off the server at once.  One of them was
snarfing data the other one was trying to read-- so instead of reading
0x00000001, it read 0x04000300, which was the next four bytes in the
stream.  Just by happenstance, this worked on NT, but not 98.

Sorry to alarm you all. :)

-=Eric