Multi-user Access

Lionel Cons lionel.cons "at" cern.ch
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:57:50 +0000

I would like to find out if we can use VNC to allow random users to
access a pool of dedicated machines running Windows NT 4.0. What I
have in mind is the following.

WinVNC should allow incoming connections as it does now but, as soon
as someone is connected using VNC, the machine should be used
exclusively by this user and all other VNC connections should be
rejected. One should also probably add an option to kill a connection
after some inactivity to avoid deadlocks.

When the connection is dropped for any reason, WinVNC should kill the
existing Windows NT "session" so that the machine goes back to the
state where it asks for user and password.

This way, a modified vncviewer could try all the machines in the pool
and connect to the first one available. The user will then have to
type his name and password and will be the only user of this machine
until the VNC connection ends.

What do you think about this?

Lionel Cons        http://home.cern.ch/~cons
CERN               http://www.cern.ch

Murphy's 7th Law of Computer Programming:
	Program complexity always grows until it exceeds the capability of
	the programmer who must maintain it.