Disable wallpaper & patterns automatically (Was: vnc-list-digest V1 #157)

David Starks-Browning starksb "at" ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:04:41 +0000

On Fri 11 Dec 98, James [Wez] Weatherall writes:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Jason Ozin at JBD wrote:
> > Or on the Win32 platforms have the server (optionally) temporarily turn off
> > wallpaper, patterns and screen savers when accessed by a client. This is
> > what pcANYWHERE does. It's a simple API call.
>
> I might add this feature if I get the time, at some point.  I already try
> to disable the screen saver if running as an app but disabling it when
> running as a service sometimes caused big problems, so it's not currently
> done.
>
> Cheers,
>
> James "Wez" Weatherall
> --
> Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
> Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -

What about disabling just wallpaper & patterns automatically,
including when run as a service?  It's not too hard to disable the
screensaver manually once you are connected.  But it can be a real
pain to even *get* connected if you've got wallpaper/patterns, over a
slow link.

Thanks & keep up the good work.

David

  David Starks-Browning                  | starksb "at" ebi.ac.uk
  EMBL Outstation --                     |
  The European Bioinformatics Institute  |
  Wellcome Trust Genome Campus           | tel: +44 (1223) 494 616
  Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK       | fax: +44 (1223) 494 468