vncserver/perl error on Solaris 2.5.1

Jonathan Marsden Jonathan "at" XC.Org
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 20:01:35 +0000

On 11 Dec 1998, Teoh Pek Chan writes:

>     I have downloaded the distribution installed on a Ultra 10 running
> Solaris 2.5.1 with GNUperl 5.003 from www.sunfreeware.com.
>
>     When I tried to run vncserver, I get the following error message
> "Unsupported socket function "socket" called at /usr/local/vnc/vncserver
> line 258"

This may (?) be slightly related to the other problems with socket
library access in RedHat 5.2??

Try replacing the line

    eval 'require "sys/socket.ph"';

in vncserver (around line 518) with

    ($] >= 5.0) ? eval 'use Socket' : eval 'require "sys/socket.ph"';

so you use the Perl 5.0 style Socket module instead of the older perl
4 style socket.ph file.  It may make no difference at all... but it is
unlikely to do any harm :-)

If that doesn't do any good, it's perhap time to check whether the
Perl distribution you grabbed really does support that call.  I'd try
to get a working C compiler for your system, and then compile Perl on
your machine from scratch, and ensure that it passes all the
regression tests (make test).

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Marsden   | Internet: jonathan "at" xc.org  | Making electronic
1849 N. Wabash Ave.| Phone: +1 (909) 794 1151   | communications work