vnc-list-digest V1 #157

James [Wez] Weatherall jnw "at"
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 14:41:32 +0000

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Jason Ozin at JBD wrote:

> >From: Malcolm Caldwell <malcolm "at">
> >
> >I have often if the various vnc implementations could be modified to know
> when
> >they were sending the screen background (backdrop) image, and if so just
> send
> >plain colour.
> >
> >Another possibility is to make sure the client caches the backdrop image
> for
> >later.
> Or on the Win32 platforms have the server (optionally) temporarily turn off
> wallpaper, patterns and screen savers when accessed by a client. This is
> what pcANYWHERE does. It's a simple API call.

I might add this feature if I get the time, at some point.  I already try
to disable the screen saver if running as an app but disabling it when
running as a service sometimes caused big problems, so it's not currently

James "Wez" Weatherall
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -

The VNC mailing list     -   see