KDE pros and cons

Fri, 11 Dec 1998 11:20:06 +0000

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Patrick Kursawe wrote:

> > And I guess a more general question is: What desktop systems are you
> > running besides twm and why?
>
> I am using Amiwm, for two reasons:
> 1) It reminds me of a great computer :-)
> 2) The normal Amiga windows don't have too fancy graphics, they were
> designed for fast drawing even on a 7Mhz machine (yes, I know there are
> quite fast Amigas today...), so they are fine for a bandwidth-limited
> system like VNC. On the Amiga there was the bottleneck of Chip-RAM
> access, with VNC it's the network connection. So it performs quite well.

I second that.  I used amiwm for quite a while and it has a pretty much
ideal layout as far as VNC is concerned.  Currently I use Afterstep, which
works very well, despite the shaded gradients, so long as the screen
background is plain.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -