KDE pros and cons

Patrick Kursawe kursawe "at" zaphod.anachem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 08:48:41 +0000

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Joseph Norris wrote:

> Has anyone noticed any system performance problems in running KDE via vnc?

It's a question of settings... without colour gradients, background
pictures, opaque movement and sizing it should not be much worse than with
other windowmanagers.

> And I guess a more general question is: What desktop systems are you
> running besides twm and why?

I am using Amiwm, for two reasons:
1) It reminds me of a great computer :-)
2) The normal Amiga windows don't have too fancy graphics, they were
designed for fast drawing even on a 7Mhz machine (yes, I know there are
quite fast Amigas today...), so they are fine for a bandwidth-limited
system like VNC. On the Amiga there was the bottleneck of Chip-RAM
access, with VNC it's the network connection. So it performs quite well.

Bye, Patrick

--
Patrick Kursawe       Patrick.Kursawe "at" ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Hohenzollernstr. 69   http://www.anachem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/patrick