KDE pros and cons

Malcolm Caldwell malcolm "at" it.ntu.edu.au
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 01:25:54 +0000

On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 06:05:07PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Has anyone noticed any system performance problems in running KDE via vnc?
> > And I guess a more general question is: What desktop systems are you
> > running besides twm and why?
>
> Applix, icewm and wmx, mixture of general, gnome and kde apps
>
> The biggest single problems I've found on slow links are
>
> o	Fancy backgrounds - the kde kwm shaded borders for example are
> 	dire to the compressor so turn them off over a modem
>
> o	Screen background. Again its easy to have wonderful multicolour
> 	backdrops. Dont do that over a modem with VNC. Pick a nice plain
> 	colour.

I have often if the various vnc implementations could be modified to know when
they were sending the screen background (backdrop) image, and if so just send
plain colour.

Another possibility is to make sure the client caches the backdrop image for
later.

> Applications seem happy in proportial to the amount of detailed graphics
> they generate - which is what you'd expect.
>
> Alan

Malcolm Caldwell - Network Supervisor             Email:malcolm "at" it.ntu.edu.au
Information Technology Support                    Ph:  +61 8 89466631
Northern Territory University,Darwin              Fax: +61 8 89466630
CASUARINA 0909 Australia