KDE pros and cons

matthew joseph valenta mvalenta "at" u.washington.edu
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 22:30:09 +0000

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Joseph Norris wrote:

> Has anyone noticed any system performance problems in running KDE via vnc?
> And I guess a more general question is: What desktop systems are you
> running besides twm and why?

I assume you mean system performance on the Unix side.  Or maybe VNC
performance?  What Unix version?

I run KDE 1.0 under RedHat Linux 5.0 (and a half, had to upgrade to egcs).
I barely notice the effects of Xvnc on my P200 system.  Also, over a
10-base-T ethernet, VNC is downright speedy (I can watch a video.)

I use KDE because it is the most complete free desktop system available.
On the other hand, Windowmaker is very strong to,o and GNOME is on the way
to 1.0.

Matt Valenta
mvalenta "at" u.washington.edu