KDE pros and cons

Alan Cox alan "at" cymru.net
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:15:24 +0000

> Has anyone noticed any system performance problems in running KDE via vnc?
> And I guess a more general question is: What desktop systems are you
> running besides twm and why?

Applix, icewm and wmx, mixture of general, gnome and kde apps

The biggest single problems I've found on slow links are

o	Fancy backgrounds - the kde kwm shaded borders for example are
	dire to the compressor so turn them off over a modem

o	Screen background. Again its easy to have wonderful multicolour
	backdrops. Dont do that over a modem with VNC. Pick a nice plain
	colour.

Applications seem happy in proportial to the amount of detailed graphics
they generate - which is what you'd expect.

Alan