vnc-list-digest V1 #156

raoul@world.std.com raoul "at" world.std.com
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 13:11:25 +0000

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, vnc-list-digest wrote:

> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 00:30:35 +0000
> From: Quentin Stafford-Fraser <quentin "at" orl.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: vnc-list-digest V1 #155
>
> raoul "at" world.std.com wrote:
>
> > Under RedHat 5.2, I've run into the following difficulties:
> >
> > The vncserver script fails miserably: the 'require "sys/socket.ph"' command
> > barfs on the version of Perl included with RedHat 5.2.
>
> Try replacing it with 'use Socket;'

I tried 'require "linux/socket.ph"', which works fine under RedHat
5.2. Thanks.

> > And it seems odd to use perl for the vncserver script when the entire rest
> > of the distribution is written in C and in shell. It requires users to maintain
> > an entirely separate package for no other purpose. Don't get me wrong,
> > I *like* perl, it just seems slightly unnecessary for this purpose. Or is
> > that done for portability reasons, to non-UNIX OS's?
>
> We would like to get rid of the Perl, but it isn't a shell script because it needs
> to check connections to sockets and do some simple stuff to create cookies.  It
> isn't C, because we want it to be easy for people to customise.  But yes, some
> combination of the two is certainly possible.  As we're discovering, Perl isn't a
> good solution where portability is concerned!

Well, you've just made quite good points. And trying to make shell scripts
portable can be a *nightmare*, where Perl at least has the pretense of being
similar from platform to platform. It's just hard to tell which *release*
of Perl is in use, which is easier to double check under Linux (rpm is your
friend).