Uggg what a long 40 hrs this has been :c)

Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:53:29 +0000

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, VNC-List wrote:

>   This seems to be a problem with running Linux on sparcs.
> I have a similar problem running Debian Linux on a Sparc 1.
>
>   By the looks of things the server is sending the information 'backwards'
> So the display ends up being mirrored left/right on the viewer (Letters
> end up being backwards and so on).  have a look at
>
> http://www.brighteyes.u-net.com/vnc.gif
>
> for an example.  The edges of the clock certainly seem to be mirrored if
> you take into account the fact that the information is sent across in
> small rectangular sections.
>
>   So the next question is... Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

I suspect the difference in byte-order between Sparc and i386
architectures. Modifying the code that generates macros like Swap32 to
cope with Linux on Sparc should fix this.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -