to B an ENDIAN or not that is the Q.

Sean Mathews mathewss "at" nutech.com
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 02:51:30 +0000

 hmm interesting well best i can tell i am
compiling with BIG ENDIAN that is proper for
my hardware (sparc) so i dont think this is specificly
the issue it is more likely that the code is not properly
designed to to deal with bit buffers where there would
be a difference in say BIG ENDIAN / LITTLE ENDIAN.
 There are very few areas in the code that i can
actualy find that check BIG/LITTLE example would be
the stipple code for sparc.. and the comment there
is Uggg i hope i never see a sparc with little endian
but here is the switch just incase.. Yet in all other
code that seems to do graphic work i see no such
judements.. So at this point i must conclude that
if your system is BIG INDIAN then vnc will not work period.
I may be wrong so that is why i ask everyone out there if you
are on BIG ENDIAN hardware please tell us if it works.

 Now there are 2 possible place where this could be a problem.
1. In the rendering
2. In communications.

 Anyway for the statement that VNC is targeted to be Cross OS/Cross
hardware umm i fear they forgot something serious...

 I am going to keep diging into the code till i get more
understanding of its workings. Any and all help from others with
this issue would be nice..

 Regards
  Sean Mathews Nu Tech CTO

struct SoftwareProfessional {