vnc-list-digest V1 #155

Quentin Stafford-Fraser quentin "at" orl.co.uk
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 00:27:36 +0000

raoul "at" world.std.com wrote:

> Under RedHat 5.2, I've run into the following difficulties:
>
> The vncserver script fails miserably: the 'require "sys/socket.ph"' command
> barfs on the version of Perl included with RedHat 5.2.

Try replacing it with 'use Socket;'

> And it seems odd to use perl for the vncserver script when the entire rest
> of the distribution is written in C and in shell. It requires users to maintain
> an entirely separate package for no other purpose. Don't get me wrong,
> I *like* perl, it just seems slightly unnecessary for this purpose. Or is
> that done for portability reasons, to non-UNIX OS's?

We would like to get rid of the Perl, but it isn't a shell script because it needs
to check connections to sockets and do some simple stuff to create cookies.  It
isn't C, because we want it to be easy for people to customise.  But yes, some
combination of the two is certainly possible.  As we're discovering, Perl isn't a
good solution where portability is concerned!

Quentin