x2vnc and screensaver

Malcolm Caldwell malcolm "at" it.ntu.edu.au
Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:01:11 +0000

Sorry about the delay in testing some of this stuff out.

On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 10:29:43AM +0000, James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Malcolm Caldwell wrote:
>
> > > Is it properly installed?
> >
> > Which "it"?  I guess the SP is properly installed.  I am fairly sure that vnc
> > is properly installed (as a service)
>
> You should re-install the Service Pack to ensure that it is properly
> installed.  Whenever new components are added to teh system, SP3 can
> become overridden and require a few files replacing.

I have re-installed service pack 3, and the problem still persists.

I have confirmed this with both vncviewer on the unix box and x2vnc.

I am running both in shared mode, but tried it without shared mode.

> As for VNC, you used the -install option to install it?

Yes.

> > > Which terminal emulator are you
> > > running?
> >
> > eXcursion - which has many other vnc problems besides (if I press a key on my
> > workstation keyboard that is non standard strange things happen.  Pressing the
> > "diamond" key on my sun type 5 keyboard causes any x window (running under
> > excursion on the pc) to segmentation fault and vanish.  Also, the cursor keys
> > don't work and produce numbers (both the keypad and non keypad ones), the
> > numlock acts as a backspace key etc.  All these are probably eXcursion
> > problems, but only when interacting with vnc)
>
> Hmmm.  VNC has problems establishing what the current keyboard layout &
> locale are, because of the way it can vary across windows on the same
> Windows display. Are you using an unusual keyboard mapping?

I don't think so.

> VNC has to
> fake the hardware scancodes associated with the virtual keycodes it maps
> from the X keysyms it is sent.  As a result, programs such as eXceed and
> NTrigue and the COMMAND.COM, which all read scancodes, not virtual
> keycodes, can easily become confused.
>
> > The original problem (screensaver cutting in) is not an eXcursion problem - I
> > have confirmed this by setting the screen saver time to 1 minute and then
> > scrolling around using the keys in netscape.  Using the mouse stops the
> > screensaver.  I did the same test with the last version and it was the keyboard
> > that was noticed and the mouse that wasn't.
>
> Peculiar.  I'll give it a go here but unless I can reproduce the problem,
> there's nothing much I can do about it. :(
>
> What screen-saver do you use?

Black screen.

I test this by setting the timeout to 1 minute.

--
Malcolm Caldwell - Network Supervisor             Email:malcolm "at" it.ntu.edu.au
Information Technology Support                    Ph:  +61 8 89466631