vnc-list-digest V1 #150

Chad R. Larson chad "at" rez.com
Mon, 07 Dec 1998 20:59:45 +0000

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 05:33:26 -0500
> From: Mike Cummins <Cummins "at" compuserve.com>
> Subject: Re: VNC Over Routers
>
> Tim Mustill,
>
> << VNC Over Routers >>
>
> I run VNC to remote sites over Cisco routers.  My experience is that
> if you can ping it, you can VNC it.
> In addition, I use it from home over DUN - not very quickly, but
> sufficiently fast to do what I need.
>
>  Mike

Not necessarily.  Ping uses the ICMP protocol, VNC uses TCP.  It is
quite common for routers to block one and not the other.

For example, your network gang might allow ping for diagnostic
purposes, but disallow TCP connections for security reasons.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)      Anasazi, Inc.     602-870-3330
chad "at" anasazi.com   chad "at" rezsolutions.com   chad "at" dcfinc.com