Accessing WinVNC on a locked WinNT4.0 server

David Starks-Browning starksb "at" ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 04 Dec 1998 17:17:31 +0000

James,

I and my colleagues would like this feature too, at least as a
configurable option.  That is, we would like to be able to connect to
a locked workstation, sending CTL-ALT-DEL to trigger the screenlock
password dialog.  At the moment it doesn't seem to work.  Sending
CTL-ALT-DEL returns "connection refused" ("closed"?).  I
read <http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/winvnc.html> and didn't see anything
about how to overcome this.  Could you explain what we are supposed to
find in the documentation?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
David

On Fri 4 Dec 98, James [Wez] Weatherall writes:
> On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Nathan Black wrote:
>
> > . . . when I lock my server at work, WinVNC would not allow any
> > clients to log on.  This seems to be a security feature in VNC,
> > but I see no obvious way to disable it.  Is there an option to do
> > this (or perhaps a modification in the registry)?  This is
> > important for me as I cannot just leave my servers unlocked when I
> > am not around. Thanks in advance!
>
> Read the documentation at www.orl.co.uk/vnc on running WinVNC as a service
> for information about this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> James "Wez" Weatherall
> --
> Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
> Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -

  David Starks-Browning                  | starksb "at" ebi.ac.uk
  EMBL Outstation --                     |
  The European Bioinformatics Institute  |
  Wellcome Trust Genome Campus           | tel: +44 (1223) 494 616
  Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK       | fax: +44 (1223) 494 468