Accessing WinVNC on a locked WinNT4.0 server

Fri, 04 Dec 1998 10:44:23 +0000

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Nathan Black wrote:

> I have recently installed VNC on my two NT 4.0 servers where it is working
> perfectly.  The problem is, when I went home and tried to access the servers
> from my home computer I could not access WinVNC.  I could get the servers to
> send the VNC password request, but after I entered the password the
> connection was closed.  It took some mucking about to discover that when I
> lock my server at work, WinVNC would not allow any clients to log on.  This
> seems to be a security feature in VNC, but I see no obvious way to disable
> it.  Is there an option to do this (or perhaps a modification in the
> registry)?  This is important for me as I cannot just leave my servers
> unlocked when I am not around. Thanks in advance!

Read the documentation at www.orl.co.uk/vnc on running WinVNC as a service
for information about this.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -