WinVNC server CPU load and performance: (was: WinVNC Server)

John Logsdon j.logsdon "at" lancaster.ac.uk
Wed, 02 Dec 1998 16:21:16 +0000

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, John Logsdon wrote:
>

> > Having checked as indicated (yes it seems a lot quicker) I get smeary bits
> > across the screen when I move the cursor too quickly and images build up
> > in their bits and pieces.  Is there a better combination or should I go
> > back to polling the full screen?
>
> Depends on what you're running.  What OS?  Which version of WinVNC?  What
> application is giving you problems?

Oops - yes I am using WinVNC 332R5 on W95 4.00.950 and Xvnc 332R2 on Suse
Linux 5.3 under fvwm95 (shortly to change to RH5.1 because there are loads
of missing bits under Suse's fvwm95 implementation!  Like xlock!).

All applications seem to do this to some extent although some are worse
than others - Excel seems worst so far while PFE (Programmer's File Editor
from Alan Phillips at Lancaster - easily the best WYWYSWIG editor on W95)
seems relatively immune.

When you click on, for example, File and drag the mouse down to Open or
whatever it leaves a slimy trail!  Clicking the right mouse button clear
it.  In Excel, if you hold the mouse button down you get a jagged trail in
all the cells the mouse has passed over and again if you click the right
mouse button, the square is highlighted correctly.

It's not really a problem, it just looks messy!  Like a slug has got into
the computer!

TIA (do you guys ever go to bed?)

John

PS is there some truth in the rumour that Oracle are bringing out their
own Linux distribution, given that they have now ported Oracle d/base to
Linux?