watching tv

Alan Cox alan "at" cymru.net
Tue, 01 Dec 1998 16:21:56 +0000

> I have a tv card on my w95 and machine and try to teleport the tv screen =
> to anothere machine but can not see the picture, is there anyway that I =
> can make vnc to do this at all?

If its the standard BT848 based stuff then if you can tell windows vnc (Im
in a happy windows free environment) to poll that window it will work. No
drawing is done by the system but the image is rendered by DMA to the
video card so a polled read of the screen will retrieve the data. Ditto for
the Zoran cards (iomega buz/trust etc). If you have an ATI card you are
probably screwed.

In all cases sending the TV via VNC will suck performance and bandwidth
wise and you should probably use whatever the windows equivalent of
vstreamer/nv/vic/vat are.

Alan